Dr Thakur joined Cranfield University in October 2016 as a Faculty in Manufacturing in the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing. Prior to commencing at Cranfield University, Dr Thakur worked as a Staff Scientist in the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Washington State University, USA (2013-2016). He was also a Research Scientist in Temasek Laboratories at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2009-2012), and a Visiting Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering at LHU, Taiwan.
Dr Thakur did his post-doctoral study in Materials Science & Engineering at Iowa State University, USA and received a PhD in 2009 from the National Institute of Technology. He received his BSc (Chemistry, Physics & Mathematics) BEd and MSc degree in Organic Chemistry from Himachal Pradesh University, India.
Dr Thakur has published more than 125 SCI journal research articles and holds one United States patent. Eleven of his research papers have been highlighted as Highly Cited Papers in the Web of Science and three papers have been classed as Hot Papers. He has also published 44 books and 35 book chapters on polymer science / materials science / nanotechnology with numerous publishers (Google Scholar h–index=61; Citations>10,000). He sits on the editorial board of several Scopus and Web of Science Indexed SCI Journals (e.g. Nature, Elsevier; Springer; Wiley, Taylor & Francis etc) as an Associate Editor/ Editor / Editorial Advisory Board member as well as scientific bodies around the globe.
In addition, Dr Thakur sits on grant review panels for governmental agencies and educational institutions in the UK, USA, South Africa, Poland, Chile, Cyprus, Germany, Austria, Singapore, Portugal and India.
Current research activities in Dr Thakur’s lab span the disciplines of manufacturing engineering, chemistry, nanotechnology, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering as well as all aspects of polymers and composite materials. Application aspects range across the automotive to aerospace, energy storage, water purification and biomedical fields. Most recent research work includes: Bio-renewable materials; bio-resins; Additive manufacturing of polymers and composites; Multifunctional polymer composites and nanocomposites: self-repairing, structural composites, Nanoelectronic materials; materials for energy storage; Green synthesis of nanomaterials ; surface functionalisation of polymers/nanomaterials; Hydrogels; Membranes; Nanofiber; Composites for extreme environments including high-temperature Aerospace materials and manufacturing technology.
National and International Recognition:
Editorship and Editorial board (SCI Only)
Editor- in-Chief (2018- ) Materials Horizons: From Nature to Nanomaterials (Springer Nature)
Editor- in-Chief (2017- ) Advances in Polymers and Fibers (Elsevier Series)
Editor- in-Chief (2017- ) Gels Horizons: From Science to Smart Materials (Springer Nature)
Associate Editor (2015-) Materials Express (SCI, IF 2.0)
Associate Editor (2019-) Journal of Renewable Materials (SCI, IF 0.9)
Academic Editor (2018-) PLOS ONE (SCI, IF 2.80)
Academic Editor (2018- ) Adv. Polym. Tech. (SCI, IF 2.07)
Editor (2019- ) Fibers (SCI, Scopus Cite Score 1.88)
Editor (2019- ) Biomolecules (SCI, Scopus Cite Score 5.83)
Editor (2018-) Scientific Report ( (SCI IF: 5.578), Nature Publishing Group
Editor (2018- ) International Journal of Molecular Sciences (SCI, IF 3.6)
Editor (2017- ) Nanomaterials (SCI, IF 3.5)
Editor (2017- ) Int. J. Polym. Anal. Charact. (SCI, IF 1.5)
Editor (2015-) Energies (SCI, IF 2.6)
Editorial Advisory Board (2018- ): Industrial Crops and Products (SCI, IF 3.8)
Editorial Advisory Board (2015- ): Polym. Adv. Technol. (SCI, IF 2.1)
Editorial Board (2018- ): Nanostructures & Nano-Objects (Scopus Cite Score 4.19)
Editorial Board (2018- ): SN Applied Science (SCI; Springer Nature)
Editorial Board (2017- ): Surfaces & Interfaces (Scopus Cite Score 1.33)
Editorial Board (2016- ): Adv. Nat. Sci.-Nanosci. Nanotechnol. (SCI; 1.5)
Editorial Board (2016- ): Cogent Chemistry (SCI, Taylor& Francis)
Editorial Board (2016- ): Int. J. Ind. Chem. (SCI; Springer)
Editorial Board (2016- ): J. Nanostructure Chem. (SCI; Springer)
Editorial Board (2015- ): J. Macromol. Sci. Part A (SCI, IF 1.0)
Editorial Board (2014- 2016): SpringerPlus (SCI) (SCI; IF 1.13)
Editorial Board (2014- ): Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry (SCI)
Distinguished Achievements, Awards and Scholarships
• PRAVASI RATTAN AWARD 2018 at House of Lords, London (British Parliament) UK.
• Government National Talent Scholarship was awarded for excellent results in examination conducted for “National Talent Scholarship Examination -NTSE” by Ministry of Education – Government of INDIA (1996 –1999).
• 27th Position in Matriculation Examination in Himachal Pradesh Board of School Education (1997)
• Department scholarships were awarded for excellent results in examinations (Graduate Level: 1999 - 2003)
• Postdoctoral Fellowship, Iowa State University –U.S.A (January 2013-August 2013)
• Auto CRC Research Fellowship, Institute for Superconducting & Electronic Materials (ISEM), University of Wollongong, AUSTRALIA, 2013 (Not accepted due to my prior commitment to MSE@ISU –U.S.A.)
• Guest Researcher, Leibniz-Institut für Polymerforschung Dresden e. V., GERMANY, 2012 (Not accepted due to my prior commitment to TL@NTU-Singapore)
• Postdoctoral Fellowship, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology Haifa ISRAEL, 2012 (Not accepted due to my prior commitment to TL@NTU-Singapore)
• Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Lunghwa University of Science and Technology, TAIWAN (R.O.C.)
• Junior Research Fellowship UGC, New Delhi, INDIA 2006-2009
• Invited Speaker, International Conference of Young Researchers on Advanced Materials (ICYRAM 2012), SINGAPORE July 2012.
• Member Steering Committee, WAP Conference Series: Engineering and Technology Frontier (ETF) (2012)
• Outstanding Reviewer Award, Materials & Design (I.F. 3.99) (2015)
• 11 Papers were listed as “Highly Cited Papers” in Web of Science -less than 1% of published papers receive this ranking.
• Three Papers were listed as “Hot Papers” -Hot papers are selected by virtue of being cited among the top one-tenth of one percent (0.1%) in a current bimonthly period in Web of Science.
TOP 100 Scientists 2012 (Below Age of 35 Yrs.), Cambridge England.
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Materials Science, Position 9th) 2017, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Chemistry, Position 15th ) 2017, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Environmental Science, Position 44th ) 2017, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Engineering, Position, Position 52nd ) 2017, Publons, UK
TOP Reviewers Scientist for United Kingdom (Position 3rd ), 2017, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Materials Science, Position 18th) 2018, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Chemistry, Position 24th ) 2018, Publons, UK
TOP 1% Reviewer Scientist (Multidisciplinary, Position 12th ) 2018, Publons, UK
Hot Article =Essential Science Indicators (Thomson Reuters)
(i) Paper in Advanced Materials (I.F. 21.9) 2014
(ii) 1 Paper in ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering (I.F.6.1) 2015
(iii) 1 Paper in Polymer (I.F.3.5)
Highly Cited =Article Essential Science Indicators (Thomson Reuters)
(i) 1 Paper in Chemical Reviews (I.F. 52.6), 2016
(ii) 1 Paper in Advanced Materials (I.F. 21.9), 2014
(iii) 2 Papers in ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering (I.F.6.1) 2015
(iv) 2 Papers in International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (I.F.3.9), 2015
(v) 1 Paper in Carbohydrate Polymers (I.F.5.1), 2016
(vi) 1 Paper in Int. Journal of Polymer Analysis & Characterization s (I.F.1.5), 2016
(vii) 1 Paper in Polymer (I.F.3.5), 2016
(viii) 1 Paper in Journal of Cleaner Production (I.F. 5.6), 2016
(ix) 1 Paper in Nanoscale (I.F. 7.3), 2016
• Highlighted Article & Inside Cover Page, Journal of Materials Chemistry (I.F.9.9). This research work on the surface chemistry of polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry was selected as a highlighted article by the journal editor. This work is first on surface modification of PVDF for electrical energy storage in high performance capacitors.
• Cover Page, Iranian Polymer Journal (I.F.1.2)
• Awarded Best Research Paper award during Ph.D. for work on green composites in the National Conference on Mechanism Science and Technologies: from Theory to Applications, NCMSTA'08.
• Award of Honor for contribution towards Community Service in the Celebration of 50Th Community Service Programme, 2008, National Institute of Technology, India
• Interviewed as Subject Expert on green materials by ACS- chemical and engineering news 2015.
• Research on Bio-based Membranes Highlighted in Science Trends (2018)
• Received grants for research worth > £3 M as a co-Investigator/ collaborator
Top 20 Most Cited Papers
• 2 papers in Int. J. Polym. Mater. Polym. Biomater., (I.F.3.5), 2009-2012
• 10 papers in Int. J. Polym. Anal. Charact, (I.F.1.51) in past 3 years 2016
• 2 papers in Polym.-Plast. Technol. Eng., (I.F.1.4) 2009-2013.
Top 20 Most Read Papers
• 5 papers in Int. J. Polym. Anal. Charact, (I.F.1.51) 2011-2016
• 2 papers in Polym.-Plast. Technol. Eng., (I.F.1.4) 2011-2016
• 1 paper in ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng., (I.F.6.1) 2015-2016
• 2 papers in Int. J. Polym. Mater. Polym. Biomater., (I.F.3.5) 2013-2016
• 1 paper in Polymer (I.F.3.5) 2015-2016
• 1paper in Carbohydr. Polym., (I.F.5.1) 2014-2016
• Books published by Springer, Wiley and Taylor & Francis are being refereed in several Universities.
Grant Review Panels (e.g. for Governmental Agencies, Educational Institutions)
2019- Reviewer, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) (UK)
2018- Reviewer, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) (UK)
2018- Reviewer, Medical Research Council (MRC) (UK)
2018- Reviewer, Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (AUSTRIA)
2018- Reviewer, National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation, JSC, KAZAKHSTAN
2018- Reviewer, Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS), KUWAIT
2017- Reviewer, The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
2017- Academic Advisory Panel, Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (UK)
2017- Reviewer , National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation, JSC, KAZAKHSTAN
2017- Reviewer, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) (UK)
2017- Reviewer, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) (USA)
2017- Reviewer, Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) (South Africa)
2017- Reviewer, National Science Centre (Narodowe Centrum Nauki – NCN) (POLAND)
2017- Reviewer, FONDECYT Regular 2017 grant competition, an initiative of the Chilean National Science and Technology Commission (CONICYT - Chile) (CHILE)
2017- Reviewer, Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation (RPF), CYPRUS
2016- Reviewer, German Federal funding program (GERMANY)
2015- Reviewer, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) (USA)
2015- Reviewer, Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (AUSTRIA)
2014- Reviewer, Singapore National Science Foundation (SINGAPORE)
2012- Reviewer, Research Proposal Assessments of Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (PORTUGAL)
2012- Research Proposal Assessments of Science & Engineering Research Board, INDIA